Written by HD Handshoe
Founder—College Football Crack House
Featured Columnist for BleacherReport.com
To borrow a line from Around The Horn host Tony Reali, "So that happened!"
The University of Florida decided it was a good idea to create a wall memorial in tribute to Tim Tebow for his speech after the Florida home loss to Ole Miss last season.
I mean seriously—could this Tim Tebow love-fest get any more ridiculous?
I already know at least three things that people who disagree with me and have no problem with this are going to say...
1. You're just a jealous Ohio State "Suckeye" fan (Which most likely will include a 41-14 reference).
2. SEC SEC SEC SEC (The annoying conference piggy-backing chant those of us who actually pick one team instead of the entire conference have to hear most every Saturday whenever an SEC game is on TV).
3. He deserves it. He led the Gators to the title after he promised he wouldn't let them lose again! (Of course he did--look at the overrated "good" teams and doormats they played the rest of the season).
I'm sure he's a decent person, but nobody is ever as perfect as they are made out to be.
This kid has been crowned God of Florida and the sports media, specifically ESPN, have fanned the flames of this total nonsense.
In my humble opinion, a program taking this sort of action should reserve it for an all-time great a few years after they graduate.
If Florida wanted to do this, why not wait until 2011 or 2012?
Right now, if I am any of the other 21 starters from the Gator team from last season, I'm wondering where's my individual monument? Where's my individual tribute?
Yes, Tebow is the face of the Florida team, as generally a QB is, but he didn't win those eight games and eventual BCS Championship on his own.
The biggest issues I have with this is he's still in school, he's quite possibly the most over-hyped college football player of all-time, and he's getting all the individual accolades like's he 's the next coming.
All this for making a speech that really meant next to nothing without the support of the rest of his teammates. I reiterate, he didn't do it all alone post-speech!
He might not even have much of an NFL career, especially as a QB, so that should be a red flag that screams out most logical people (in addition to myself) outside of the biased media, the state of Florida, and Gator fans, aren't buying into this!
Whenever you talk about Tebow, don't forget to use two o's—he's good, but he's not God!
Not even in Florida...
Thursday, March 26, 2009
- I'm So Sick Of Hearing About Tim Tebow's "You'll N...
- Pac-10 Conference: Team by Team 2009 Preview
- 2009 West Virginia Mountaineers -- Will Bill Stewa...
- Georgia Football '09: Dawgs To Be Excited About
- 2009 Way Too Early Preseason Top 10 (Updated)
- Is Ole Miss a Victim of Its Own Success?
- The Va Tech Hokies' Have High Expections For 2009
- Boise State Football: There Is No Life Beyond Bron...
- SEC-Owned ESPN vs. Ohio State: The "Style Points" ...
- ▼ March (9)